Tuesday, May 5, 2009

salads

We've had some great lettuce and arugula salads lately. Tim's also been buying bell peppers to cut up in them. In a couple of months, we'll have our own bell peppers too! I've been sowing heat resistent lettuce, but not much of it has germinated yet. I'm afraid we may have a couple of weeks with no/few greens, which makes me sad. I'm finding that it's really important to keep sowing them once a week. It will be easier next year. This year was just so crazy what with all the beds getting put in. I do wish I'd started more lettuce inside, even before we got the beds/dirt.

I just love growing salad greens. It's so convenient. And so much fun to go out to the garden and pick them right before a meal.

I think we are going to get a few carrots. I hope so. I like carrots. I will try again this fall if they don't turn out.

I have plans to save seeds from many of the vegetables in my garden. Arugula, dill, cilantro, beans, anything that I'm only growing one variety of, that isn't a hybrid, and that doesn't cross-pollinate easily, and that is relatively convenient. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, pumkpins, and melons I'll just have to buy when I need them.

I planted the seeds I saved from my cosmos last year, which was cool. I will have a lot more confidence when they germinate. I remember feeling so overwhelmed when I read about seed saving last year. (Oh great, another hippy thing I have to learn to do), but it seems pretty easy for a lot of vegetables and saves a little money. I hope to give some seeds away to friends.

I did take some pictures but haven't uploaded them yet. Some of my tomatoes look like they are going to start flowering soon.

I have put fertilizer pot shots in all my perennial herb pots, except the ones just planted this year. I put about half the recommended amount since herbs aren't heavy feeders.

We planted dwarf runner bean hestia in the earthbox. I thought the beans would be pretty on the front porch.

No comments: