Wednesday, May 6, 2009

more plantings

I planted more heat-resistent lettuce (broke out the Park Seed Summer Glory Blend) today on the far right end of the bed next to my asparagus. I also planted my baby corns (bonus). I do have lettuce coming in, the Burpee heat wave, but it has been germinating very slowly, and I wanted to see if the Park blend did any better. I'm addicted to homegrown salads!

Not sure how excited I am about the baby corn. I put it in my garden schedule to plant every 10 days, but it takes up a lot of space. I think I'll just see how much space I have once my sweet potato slips come, and then plant more baby corn if I have room.

I'm finding that I have space to grow more plants than I realized. I do get nervous about bugs and diseases attacking my beautiful tomatoes. I wish I had interplanted them with other kinds of plants more.

I ordered seeds from Nichols Garden Nursery yesterday, some okra, anaheim peppers, mild janapenos, and some greens to plant this fall (mustard, claytonia).

Investigating options for winter gardening. Should I make a hoop frame with metal stakes and PVC pipe and put a frost blanket over that?

The first melons and cucumbers have sprouted. I'll plant my watermelons this weekend.

I do feel kind of impatient for more things to be ready to harvest! It will be June probably before I get much else. Next year, I think I can have a lot more success by using some technology to protect my plants from the cold springs we have here that so quickly turn hot.

No comments: