Wednesday, May 13, 2009

plant overload

More and more thing have been planted. My sweet potato sets came, at about the right time for my area, and they are in the ground. I planted cumin and parlsley seeds.

I started indoors anaheim peppers, mild jalapenos, okra, and more basil. Right now, pretty much all of my beds are completely taken up, which is as it should be. I hope I'll have a patch free up in a week or so, so that I can plant some more bush beans.

But everything seems to be mostly going well. My tomato plants have begun to flower. I'm wondering if I should now start some more tomato seeds, so that we'll have some fresh plants for late in the season?

One of my raspberry bushes has not come out of dormancy, which concerns me. I hope it does. The other 2 are fine, and my 3 blackberry bushes are looking good.

I put mulch mats around my persimmon tree, which is leafing and looking beautiful, as well as my crape myrtles and forsythia. I now only have one forsythia because Tim ran over the other one with the lawn mower! That's okay. It was hard to see.

I planted shasta daisies around one of my Rose of Sharons. I wanted to plant them around both bushes, but I didn't have nearly enough. I will plant white cosmos around the other one this season.

Still enjoying lettuce and arugula, although my last batch of arugula is probably not going to hold of from flowering for long. I will look forward to it again this fall.

My borage is growing. Both Isaac & I tried the leaves, which supposedly tastes like cucumbers. They do... Like fuzzy, weird cucumbers. I don't plan on using it in salads! The taste is fine, but the texture is just weird. Maybe the flowers will taste better.

We also planted white scallop squash today and watermelons (everglade hybrid and malali) the other day. As far as the other melons, still waiting on Minnesota Midget to make an appearance, but Amy hybrid seems to be doing good.

No comments: