Thursday, May 14, 2009

Broccoli heads!

Well, my broccolis have really started making heads. I don't know if its too late for them, if they'll be ready to harvest in time... My heat-tolerant lettuce is growing in well. I'll just know from now on that I've got to constantly be making little plantings of lettuce. (Or starting it inside).

I did some major tomato pruning today, pruning off some rather large suckers. I hated to do it, but I planted my tomatoes so close together that I kind of had to. Hopefully, I didn't damage the plants. It looks much less like a jungle there. I do wish I hadn't planted my tomatoes so close together, and had interplanted them with other crops, but next year I'll do it a little differently.

I started three types of basils very early (back in February) with the intention of setting them outside on warm days and bringing them in at night. Well, it was annoying to bring them in. The purple basil is doing great, but the other two basils (long-leaf Italian and cinnamon) seem to be permanently stunted. I'm going to replace them with flowers (zinnias or bachelors button probably). Basil does great out in the garden beds, so I doubt I'll do too much container basil growing after the purple flowers.

My sage flowered on the back porch, and the purple flowers were absolutely gorgeous. Didn't get a lot of blooms, but the ones we've had so far have been very impressive.

Did I write about how I almost killed my Greek Oregano plant by leaving it on the front porch in its peat pot and not watering it one day? It looked horribly wilted and dead, but after I brought it in and watered it, it perked up over the next hours and days, and I only lost a couple of stems. I potted it in the largest container I had and then got a 12" clay pot (when they came back in stock in the stores) and put it in that, to be its permanent home.

My nasturtium hanging baskets have enough growth that I'm ready to get them hung on our front porch.

No comments: