Friday, May 1, 2009

garden update

Well, over the past several days I've planted basil seedlings (including the ones Isaac & planted together in his bed), more lettuce, cilantro, bush beans. My malabar spinach is coming up. I planted cucumbers. 4/31 we planted 2 varieties of melon, Minnesota Midget and Amy Hybrid.

I found out (from my Heirloom Gardener magazine) that tomatillos have to be planted near one of their own kind in order to set fruit. So, it seems that last year the problem wasn't so much that I was late getting started, just that I grew only one. It pained me to do so, but I pulled up the tomatillo I had planted and started seeds for two more, which I will plant together.

Really enjoying our lettuce and arugula salads. They are so fresh. It's great not to have to eat the greens out of the bag. I got Tim to whip up the oil and vinegar dressing we used to enjoy in California (where we had an awesome grocery store, Jimbo's). The dressings we had been using mask the taste of the greens too much. I need dressings that you can taste the greens through now!

I don't know how some of my vegetables have handled the three days of 90-degree heat we got. My tomatoes seem very happy, as do my peppers, but the broccoli and cabbage seemed to like it much less. I also think my lettuce and arugula turned a tad bitter but still better than grocery store stuff.

Oh yeah, and I planted my persimmon tree and my blackberry and raspberry bushes (3 of each). And Oliver pulled out one of my blackberry bushes twice, another one once. Let's hope they survive. Ah, the hazards of a 16-month-old boy running around the yard!

Right now, I am feeling very positive about providing the majority of our family's produce in the coming months. Next year, I'll be able to do much better, as I understand more about what can grow in our climate and when to plant it.

No comments: