Saturday, April 11, 2009

work before the storm

Showers forecast for tonight--I am always happy about that.

I got some work done today, since my husband had a little time off. I am preparing the garden along our back fence. I put cardboard down, and then shredded paper, and then a thin layer of cedar mulch for aesthetics. It doesn't completely cover the shredded paper, but it makes it look better. I am done with half of it, have another half to do. I think it will look fine once I have lots of flowers growing.

I had started some lettuce seedlings, and Isaac happily helped me plant those.

I have decided to go head with harvesting my Earthbox lettuce for Easter lunch. Hopefully, it will grow again. Next year, I will be sure and start lots of greens much earlier. I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep us in arugula and claytonia (if we like it--haven't tried claytonia) all winter.

Now, we are concentrating on starting flower seedlings. Easy things that could be self-sown, but I find I don't have the patience to go out and water seedlings for 2 weeks. It's much easier to use peat pellets and just pull off that plastic netting stuff, and then plant them out before a rain is expected.

I'm afraid that 2 of my chive seedlings died--set them out too early. I guess I will try again! It is ridiculous growing chives from seed--I know it's ridiculous, but I can't stop myself.

No comments: