Sunday, April 5, 2009

The weekend ends

Today, I planted the rest of the cockscomb that looked alive. I won't have as much of it as I wanted, but I'll just hope that some of it comes up. I saw seedlings trying to grow in that bed. I think I will have many cosmos and zinnia "volunteers." Which is just fine. I also planted some alyssum seedlings with my son. They should be very pretty.

I need to dig out the edge of that front garden, put paper down as a weed barrier, and then cover that with a few inches of mulch. I don't know when I'll get to that. The tulips look like they are coming in strong! I imagine that they'll bloom in early May.

I had my husband try an arugula sprout that I thinned earlier today. He was actually impressed, which pleased me. (He's not easily impressed.) They do taste quite wonderful.

I'm hoping that in a week we'll have some lettuce and radishes for salads. It may be two weeks though.

My tomato plants outside have a nice color and seem to be settling in. The ones I'm keeping indoors do not look quite so happy. I put the rest of them in peat pots and am getting them ready to live outside too. Tues and Wed now are both expected to be cold nights. So Thursday or later they will go out. I'll keep the peppers and eggplants another couple of weeks.

No comments: