Friday, April 17, 2009

The Self-Sufficient Suburban Gardener by Jeff Ball

Title: The Self-Sufficient Suburban Gardener
Author: Jeff Ball

Review: I found this book at the library. I thought the title was a bit overly ambitious, but I took it home anyway, and I really liked it. It has many ideas for growing most of ones own produce in the backyard. Many of the ideas he presents (raised beds, crop rotation, successive planting) are very much in vogue right now. The author's tone is pleasant and practical. One thing that strikse me funny is how gardening authors talk about how cheaply gardening can be done (but, of course, they themselves invest a sizable sum of money into their garden). Ball is no exception to this.

My only major criticism of the book is the chapter on backyard agriculture (bees, bunnies, and chickens). It's a purely speculative chapter with no personal experience to back up the ideas, nor any interviews with people who have. My husband's family did try the bunny thing one year (on their hobby farm), and let's just say that killing bunnies wasn't much fun for my husband's dad. I just think the author could have reduced that chapter to a paragraph, since it didn't contain much practical information.

Overall, a good read.

No comments: