Tuesday, March 31, 2009

watching my plants grow

Every day, I check my little plants. The lettuce in the Earth Box is looking pretty tasty. I imagine we'll have some great harvests of that in about a month.

My tomato seedlings aren't looking the greatest. I think I am overwatering so will watch that. Next year, I will not start them until about March 15th.

Peppers continue to look nice.

My broccoli seems happy planted out in a bed.

Very excited about the arugula. I keep eating the thinnings, and they are so damn tasty.

My mints on the porch and my garlic chives look wonderful. I got pots today for my St. John's Wort and my regular chives. Soon they will join the other herbs on the porch. My herb pots look cool from the street, or so I think.

I also got today a couple of hanging baskets to grow nasturtiums. I have high hopes that they will look quite striking.

My crab apple tree is coming out of dormancy, as is my sugar maple.

My little dwarf blueberry bush is leafing out like crazy. I love it.

I am getting a little antsy waiting for April 15th. I think it will be very safe to plant out everything by then, particularly with global warming.

I turned my compost today, both piles from last year, combining them. I was going to use more of the older one, but I really didn't think it looked quite finished enough, so I just used a few shovelfulls. It looks pretty good though, and I think after the hot summer, with a few turnings, it will be beautiful, finished compost that I can probably work into the soil late this fall. I am very proud of it. I even liked the way it smelled, a nice earthy smell. Interestingly, I saw absolutely no unpleasant creatures in it, just worms. I only seem to see gross bugs in the very fresh stuff.

Our yard is so pretty with blooming weeds, purple, white, and blue, and the yellow dandilions. I read that clover draws nitrogen from the air into the soil. We have plenty of that--free fertilizer for our lawn!

I am devouring gardening/farming books.

No comments: