Saturday, March 14, 2009

indoor seedlings

Well, my grow light finally came. I ordered it months ago, and it was put on backorder. I was impressed that it came on a Saturday. I wonder if other customers complained (I didn't) because it was really kind of annoying to have it come after the time that many people have already started their seeds. It's nice having my seedlings all set up under it. The windowsill worked okay, but having to put a cardboard box over it to keep a baby and a cat away from it was annoying. I'll have to take some pictures of my new setup.

I am very happy that my echinacea (white swan) has sprouted so well. It was very slow to sprout, and it is supposed to be a major part of my front garden this year. I started 18 little pods of it, and I have 12+ sprouts now.

I started cockscomb/celosia (bombay and china town) in peat pots for the other side of my front garden. Last year, We moved in around the first of April, and it was weeks before I got seeds in the ground. I'm hoping for some early summer blooms this year!

I also started 3 kids of shasta daisies (dwarf snow lady, crazy daisy, white knight) for the backyard around my blue Rose of Sharon bushes that I hope are going to come out of dormancy.

I'm really unsure of how the trees I planted are going to do. I worry about them.

My peppers are looking vigorous, and nearly all of the pods have sprouts. I moved my St. John's Wort to a peat pot. It should be a pretty plant.

My garlic chives and mints seem happy, although the regular chives I'm starting from seeds are not doing so well. My sage seems to be doing better in the backyard, even though it got snowed on.

Peas and radishes coming in well. Carrot sprouts are still few and far between, which I'm disappointed about. I really, really want to grow delicous carrots!

The lettuce in the Earth Box looks lovely. I'm very pleased with it.

No comments: