Wednesday, March 11, 2009

sprouts

So, I now have pea sprouts (maestro) and carrot sprouts (purple haze, scarlet nantes) in addition to the radishes (organic radish sparkler), which I never wrote about here I guess, but I have radish sprouts. Radish and carrot seeds were planted either at the same time as or a couple days later than the peas. Very exciting. Especially since I put them in the ground weeks ago. So much waiting and wondering if anything is going to come up.

I'm restless. I have so many different seed packets, so many interesting varieties of vegetables and herbs, and 192 square feet of raised beds in addition to the hills I plan to sow melons, squash, and pumpkins in. But I have to wait another month to put most things in. And then there are the flowers too...

I'm a little overwhelmed, a little afraid that everything will fail. I've done so much planning and dreaming, and now is the time for the DOING.

I starting turning my compost today, the pile that I started in the fall. The contents were very recognizable for the first couple of feet, but the bottom of the pile looks very compost-y. That was gratifying. I would have finished turning it, but it got dark. I plan to let that pile sit for a year, with periodic turns, of course. It should do well in the summer sun. I am confident I will have some nice homemade compost for next spring.

No comments: