Sunday, March 22, 2009

Garden update

Well, things are going well. The six new beds are in, along with all the soil. The surrounding area was mulched by my wonderful husband this weekend, including a large area in front of the beds to be used for melons, winter squash, and pumpkins. We had the mulch delivered in a truck, just like our soil, much cheaper than buying by the bag, and we were glad we could support a small local business.

I am beyond excited.

My carrot seedlings are finally making a mass appearance. I am doing my best to stay on top of watering, unlike last year.

I am confused about what is growing in one bed. Of the two cabbage seedlings I planted, one perished, and the other seems to be doing okay. Radishes have sprouted. I think arugula has sprouted. Broccoli may have. I was suprised that the watercress I planted didn't come up at all. Weird.

We lost one seedling of tomato pineapple to my toddler.

My seedlings that I'm growing indoors are doing great. My cockscomb is sprouting in its pea pots, and I can't wait to see how that looks in our front yard this year. I should have blooms by early summer!

There are a few things I can do, but so much of it is just waiting until late April/early May to really get stuff planted. I have some supplies ordered that have not been shipped yet, which is making me nervous.

My lettuce continues to grow in the front. Herbs doing well.

Need to plant some more spring vegetables this week, more carrots, radishes, and arugula.

I'm wondering when my asparagus will be shipped? I'm ready for it.

All the pine tree saplings I planted died. I plan to try container saplings this fall instead of bare root.

The compost that I turned has sunk several inches. I love decay.

I've got big plans for incoorporating (easy) flowers in and around my vegetable garden, as well as all along the back fence. I'll just plant as I have time.

No comments: