Friday, June 1, 2012

Worm Bin: Here We Go Again

I love composting.  I'm a lazy composter, however, and mostly buy have my compost delivered.  I don't make nearly enough compost to supply my entire garden.  And it's very slow to actually become compost since I don't turn it much or really do much of anything other than put our kitchen scraps and garden waste in their, combined with shredded paper and cardboard. 

Before we had a house with a yard and room for a compost pile, I experimented with some homemade worm bins.  I eventually grew tired of them and stopped my worm composting.  I found my homemade bins to be messy annoying to harvest compost from.  However, my children loved raising caterpillars so much that I thought they might enjoy some other critters.  This time, however, I'm going to give it a shot with The Worm Factory, a commercially made bin. 

The advantage to a bin like The Worm Factory is that it minimizes the time involved in sorting our your castings from your worms and unfinished compost.  

I think this is going to make the experience a lot more enjoyable.  Also, it will mean less emptying of the dreaded compost bucket that I keep under my sink.  I can add a lot of things to the worm bin as I go, rather than putting them in the bucket.  It will take a few months for my worm population to build up to the amount of kitchen waste we produce, but the composter can support a lot of worms.  And there are still some fruit and vegetable scraps that I will need to save for my compost pile, like onions and citrus, that worms don't really care for. 

I'll be updating this blog with some new adventures in composting and how my new bin works out!  

For more information on worm composting:

No comments: