Saturday, June 2, 2012

Garden Update: May 2012

Well, it's been a good month.  Not a whole lot to harvest.  It got too hot for the radishes to taste good, but we still had tons of tasty salad greens.  Mostly, just waiting on vegetables to mature.  I did get many tomatoes off our little cherry plants that I kept in an Earthbox.  They were good, but not as good as the indeterminate varieties I grow in my beds.  Unfortunately, the plants are dying.  I only hope that the millions of tiny green tomatoes I have in my tomato bed start to ripen soon! 

I was able to harvest herbs (mostly parsley and basil) for sauces and herb rubs.  Yum!   We had enough green beans from my bush bean plants for a side dish for one meal. 

And the peas were wonderful.  I didn't use them all and don't really have a need for more split peas.  Next year, I think I will plant 2 beds of peas and be organized about picking them in time and freezing them for beef stew.  This was the first year, I've ever had enough peas to actually make a dish out of them!  In the past, we've just enjoyed eating them in garden. 

The cucumbers and squashes are  flowering.  The peppers are flowering and growing tiny peppers.  It looks like it was rainy enough this spring that I actually have some carrots to harvest soon!  The tomatillos and eggplants are coming along, although I think it'll be a while before I get anything of off those. 

It's the tomatoes, oh the delicious tomatoes, that I can't wait for! 

No comments: