Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Peas, delicious peas

We've had a wonderful garden/shelling pea crop this year.  I have them growing up against my tomato cages.  In previous years we've just snacked on the peans outside.  I told my younger son that they were "pea candy."  When he was 2 and 3, he just loved picking them and eating the little peas.  He still does, and this year he's even better at picking out the ones that are fat enough to eat.  My older son likes them too.

This year, we had so many peas that younger son and I went out last evening and actually picked enough to sautee in butter and serve with our hot dogs!  I couldn't believe it.  Next year, I might even grow another bed of peas so that we can freeze some.  

The variety I used this year came from Burpee.  It is called Burpeeana, and it is the best pea I have tried.  I've also tried Maestro and Mr. Big, with less success, although they were good too.  The peas are very tasty, and the plants are vigorous and healthy.  I will definitely grow this one again. 

It's a bit tricky to grow peas here because it gets hot so fast--we don't have much of a spring, so any variety has got to be able to withstand heat.  Any time I tried to grow peas in the fall, the bunnies or squirrels ate them.

Hurray for peas!


No comments: