Sunday, August 17, 2008

Everything Update

Front Yard:
  • The driveway side had some plants die. I let it go too long with out water, and there was no rain for a couple of weeks(?). There are still a few cosmos (not blooming), but I'm not sure if the sunflowers will make it. There is one brave zinnia and a marigold. The seedums continue to do okay, and the grass that crept in thrives. I really must do something about that.
  • The less-hot side is doing great, with the cosmos thriving, the zinnias thriving, and the white marigolds really did turn out pretty, even if I decided they were dumb after I planted them. The dwarf sunflowers are lovely too--I will plant them again for sure!
  • I am going to plant some snapdragons on the dead side and keep them watered!
  • I learned that cosmos may thrive on neglect, but it does have a breaking point!
Front containers:
  • Sage has grown a funny collapsed shape but it otherwise thriving. I moved the container to help it grow better.
  • Peppermint doing fine. Mexican lavendar growing very slowly. Basil fine. Son (age 4) likes to eat leaves but has learned to ask permission.
Backyard:
  • Blueberry plant in container thriving.
  • Marigold in container died. Used container for indoor potted palm.
  • Only one blueberry bush in yard still alive. Think I know where I went wrong. Better luck next year.
  • Decided to start some tomato seeds to grow in containers. Hybrid determinate small plants. Will give it my best shot and bring them inside at night if we have a frost. Hoping we can at least have some fried green tomatoes! (Incidentally, husband bought some heirloom tomatoes at Trader Joe's--tasted divine. Next year!)
  • Beans: see previous post!
  • Squash doing pretty well. Have 2 big squashes that are growing. It's still flowering, but I don't think it liked that hot dry spell. Thank goodness this summer is milder and wetter than last year!
  • Pumpkins doing great and flowering. There is one pumpkin already on one of my miniature pumpkin plants.
  • Gourds--doing okay. Next year I will give them their own bed and take better care of them.
  • Tomatillo plant! One of the many tomatillo seeds I tried to plant emerged. For a while I couldn't figure out what the plant was, but I let it grow since it looked like some sort of vegetable. It is flowering, and I think we will have some delicous tomatillos before too long!
  • Basil--planted 4 basil plants for my 4-year-old basil eater. (Started the seeds indoors of course). Hoping we can get a pesto sauce out of them too!
  • I have 2 red cabbage seeds started and 2 califlowers started to plant outside in, oh, 3 or 4 weeks.
  • My yellow bell peppers are doing pretty well. Some of the leaves did get eaten, but they are growing into their cages.
  • I also am trying to start some chives for my front herb container garden, but they have not emerged. It's weird because I thought chives would be so easy.
  • I have plans to grow carrots, lettuce, and radishes as well this fall.
  • My sunflowers have grown wonderfully! The Russian Mammoths especially. And I like the white and red sunflowers that bloom over and over. However, deshelling the mammoth seeds has been boring. I think I am going to use them to feed birds instead.
  • I've had a few zinnias bloom, although I just sort of let grass grow around them.
  • I did start a "flower garden" behind my beds against the fence. I am growing more sunflowers, some cosmos "double click," and some tall zinnias.

Houseplants
  • doing fine; houseplants are easy

Other:
  • My son planted a tiny garden of 6 zinnias in front of his new playhouse.
  • We are going to plant tall snapdragons behind his playhouse to make a fence. (He has a trapdoor that leads into his backyard.) He has a very cute plastic playhouse.
Thoughts:
  • I like easy-care flowers, vegetables, and herbs!
  • I have really been enjoying the bees, butterflies, and dragonflies that are attracted to my flowers. I keep thinking I hear hummingbirds, but I haven't seen any yet.

No comments: