Monday, May 5, 2008

Sprouts appear

So, I planted up the one small bed in our front yard, leaving the larger bed for later. Right after I planted the first bed, we had 3 days of thunderstorms. The lovely soil which I had turned and mixed with a potting soil looked like concrete when it was all dried out. I decided that:

A) The seeds had probably washed away.
B) I hadn't planted enough of them anyway (probably true).
C) Plants can't grow in concrete.

But, you know, despite all of these problems, I have sprouts! I think my cosmos, dwarf sunflowers, and marigolds have all sprouted. The cosmos seems to be doing the best. Anyway, I planted more seeds in the other bed and beefed up the other side a bit too. I decided to forget about the blue star flowers and planted white alyssum instead. I also threw in some chives because I know how hardy they are and tossed in some shasta daisies as well. I decided it would be better to thin the garden than to not have enough plants.

The plants I am growing are really, really easy plants (marigolds are practically weeds!!). They should be "fool proof." We shall see... I feel like it is a bit late in the season to be starting plants from seed, but we only moved in a little over a month ago.

My son was excited about the sprouts, but the container plants are really more appealling for him. I killed our dill sprout, and he was sad about that today. Oh, well, we will try again.

In other news, my husband got the lumber for the 2 raised beds he is making for me (8ft by 4 ft by 8 inches high). I had originally planned on 5 of these babies. but the realization of the expense and upkeep required caused me to decided that I could get by with 2 beds just fine.

So, far I want to grow in my raised beds:
  • miniature pumpkins
  • green beans
  • corn
  • chives
I'll probably think of some more things too. I think I will probably not get started for another couple of weeks. I still have not figured out where the soil for these beds should come from or how much it will cost.

Also, there are several bunnies that visit the yard who will probably dig under our new fence and eat a lot of my veggies. May have to look for some creative ideas there. I am too much of a city girl to consider harming the bunnies.

No comments: