Saturday, May 10, 2008

A little weeding, more planning


Cosmos seedling


Weeded the garden today. The seedlings seem to be doing well, and there are more of them. I haven't seen any alyssum seedlings yet, but it's a little too early. I am hoping that grows well and will fight off the grass. Our fence posts were put in yesterday, and we should have a back fence next week I think! Then I can get started on our back gardens. I can't wait to plant some vegetables. I am trying to find a good deal on some soil for my raised beds.

One funny thing--one of the fence guys mentioned to my husband that our soil was pure concrete, and he was amazed that grass grows here! That's certainly how it seemed to me. You can see our lovely "concrete" soil in the picture above.

I have also ordered some "hoop-type" compost bins. We have a bunch of water-damaged cardboard that I'm planning on composting, so one of the bins will just be to contain that, until we can use it all. This fall, I'll use the extra bin to hold leaves for composting. I will gradually bury our food wastes with the cardboard and leaves.

I just keep ordering seeds... It will be interesting to see what I manage to grow this year!

No comments: