Friday, May 24, 2013

Basil Perpetuo, a dream come true

Today, an order I had placed with the Burpee catalog came.  I got 2 more tomato plants and a pepper plant.  All were varieties I couldn't find enough of at my local garden store, but then, of course, after I had ordered them, I discovered the garden store had gotten more plants in stock, including one of the tomato plants I had wanted, as well as the pepper plant (poblano). 

In addition, I ordered 3 basil plants, of a variety called "perpetuo."  I grew it last year.  It's a great plant because it never flowers.  Flowering makes basil taste bitter, although I do know people who keep on using it after it has flowered.  I don't recall the flavor of perpetuo being quite as strong as that of the regular old basil, so I will have to check on that, but it was quite good.  And it was very nice to continue to have basil after all my other had flowered.

 So, perpetuo is a mutant plant that doesn't flower.  It also has pretty green and white leaves.  And, the best part is, apparently it can be wintered over indoors!  I can have basil all year without starting seeds.  I am putting two of my perpetuos in the garden and one in a pot on my deck.  In October, I will bring it inside and hope that it will get enough light in my bedroom to survive the winter.  Apparently, these plants can grow up to 4 feet tall.  Imagine having a beautiful varigated basil 4-foot in a pot to make pesto out of year round. 

Hopefully, I will not kill my basil perpetuo.  I will post again this winter as to how my mutant basil is doing indoors. 

No comments: