Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Beginning Indoors


The beautiful mid-Atlantic spring and moving into our new home has inspired me to garden indoors and out. I am fairly inexperienced at gardening. I used to "help" my parents a little when I was a preteen, in their very low-maintenance, easy care kind of flower garden. I tried to grow vegetables once, but sort of forgot about them. As a college student and in my early marriage, I grew houseplants. My beloved cat (who has since died) destroyed them, but I was able to keep several on my patio in San Diego.

My two current cats do not seem interested in destroying plants, so I can have houseplants again. I am very careful to choose plants which are safe for both children and cats. Unfortunately, this does limit my selection somewhat.

My indoor plants so far include:
  • Spider plant
  • Parlor palm
  • Aluminum plant

All 3 are rather small. I like to buy them small both because they are cheaper than way and because I like to watch them grow from a tiny baby plant into a big plant.

I also purchased seeds to grow:
  • pink polka dot plant
  • ponytail palm
  • coleus mix

I hope to have a very nice variety--plants are my preferred mode of interior decorating.

No comments: